[Avodah] Torah Study vs. other contributions to soCIETY

David Riceman driceman at att.net
Thu May 17 17:16:58 PDT 2007

Samuel Svarc wrote:

<If
you will kindly point out, i.e. by bringing quotes instead of assertions,
which two posts of mine seem to you contradictory it would be my pleasure to
play Ariadne to your Theseus.>

sources follow:

>> <me>
>> You're changing your opinion again.  Originally it was Talmud Torah
>> which takes priority,
<The "ivory tower in discussion" was learning full time, isolated, or going

out and doing something to help this world.5/4 5:59 PM>

>>  then it was kvius of Talmud Torah,
<So, one might not be obligated to learn all day (a
topic we will leave for another time), but it definitely is preferred over
other Mitzvos.5/10 4:05 PM>

>>  then it was
>> preparation for Talmud Torah,
<Sure, if someone wants to train to enhance his Torah study, go right ahead (although I disagree with you on how effective and time efficient a route this is).5/16 11:33 AM>  This, incidentally, may be a misunderstanding on my part.  I had interpreted it as a response to my question of how you justify the Rama's doing something that's not preferred.  It may be that you failed to answer that question and this is a non-sequitur.  If so, how do you justify the Rama's behavior?

>>  now it's preparation with the intent of
>> enhancing Talmud Torah.
<see previous citation>
>>   Is there a precise formulation of this
>> preference somewhere?
I'd still like an answer to this.
>> WADR,
None due.
>  for someone who has misunderstood almost every single point of the
> original discussion
None given.
>> Don't you agree, for example, that
>> learning the umanus of shehita counts as Talmud Torah?
>>

> No, I don't agree. The halachos of shechita, yes. Practical lessons on how
> exactly to hold the knife, no. Pray tell, why do you think differently? Do
> you have a source that leads you to this opinion?

Sure; the Shulhan Aruch discusses it, as does the Gemara.  I would have
thought that Talmud Torah necessarily includes learning how to do
mitzvos.  If you exclude that then haser ikkar min hasefer.

David Riceman