[Avodah] Torah Study vs. other contributions to soCIETY

David Riceman driceman at att.net
Tue May 15 12:48:32 PDT 2007

Samuel Svarc wrote:

> No one thinks learning subjects that will help you in Torah is prohibited.

As you keep telling me, we're not talking about permitted, we're talking
about preference.  If it's inappropriate to study Aristotle, rather than
studying Torah full time, why did the Rama do it?  If the preference
includes not only Torah but anything that will help you in Torah, why
doesn't that include training for Zakka, which undoubtedly includes much
medical information useful for Talmud Torah, and probably presents it in
a very time-efficient manner.

David Riceman