[Avodah] shemitta

Dr. Josh Backon backon at vms.huji.ac.il
Tue May 15 10:49:04 PDT 2007

>I am surprised that there hasn't much discussion of the shemitta year coming
>up soon. In Israel the various pages distributed on shabbat had a detailed
>discussion of the issue. Basically there are 3 approaches to the issue:

Actually there is the technological breakthrough just pioneered by
an Israeli farmer last month. For Shmitta, the rabbanut OK'd use of
coconut bark as a planting medium for vegetables (instead of placing
the seeds into the ground). As an added benefit, much less fertilizer
is needed and the bark is biodegradable.

A large number of farmers will be growing vegetables this coming
Shmitta using this method. [And it's a heck of a lot cheaper than
hydroponics (growing plants in water)]. Farmers may even grow
vegetables this way the other 6 years as well since it saves them
a lot of money.

It may even replace the Heter Mechira and the Otzar Beit Din. And save
people all the trouble in disposing of leftover vegetables [having to place
the "garbage" in a double plastic bag].

KT

Josh