[Avodah] fashion models and opera singers - OT: is a qedeishah a zonah

Arie Folger afolger at aishdas.org
Fri May 11 08:06:38 PDT 2007

R'n CL wrote:
> Of course defining a woman to be a kadesha based on these types of
> actions would make it much more difficult for kohanim to ever marry, so
> I think that mostly poskim have shied away from such a position.

AFAIK, one needs to differentiate between the prohibition of qedeishah and
zonah. The posqim point out that when the Torah states ishah zonah va'halalah
lo yiqa'hu, it does not mean a woman who has had extramarital sex. Zonah is
defined halakhically as kol sheniv'alah leassur lah, with some exceptions, as
well as a woman who wasn't born Jewish (we rule - against Rabbi Shim'on -
that even girls who converted before being 3 years old cannot marry kohanim
and the prohibition has no connection to sexual relations the girl could have
had).

Furthermore, just because derivative prohibitions may flow forth from lo
tihyeh qedeishah, does not mean that one who transgresses such a prohibition
automatically becomes a full fledged qedeishah.

KT,
--
Arie Folger
http://www.ariefolger.googlepages.com