[Avodah] Justifying hatred

Samuel Svarc ssvarc at yeshivanet.com
Thu May 10 08:05:15 PDT 2007

>From: "Shoshana L. Boublil" <toramada at bezeqint.net>
>From: "SBA" <areivim at sba2.com>
>> Fine, now define what are "apikorsim".
>> Come now... the MB CLEARLY states:
>> 'apikorsim HAMISKOMEMIM AL HATORAH'.

>No, that is what apikorsim DO.  That is not how they are defined.

No. An apikoris doesn't have to do anything. It's a description of a
person's beliefs (or lack thereof).

>An apikorus doesn't believe in Yesodot HaTorah.

Correct.

>But one of the fundamental requirements is that HE KNOWS the Yesodot
>HaTorah.

Everyone instinctively knows them. That is the clear halachic consensus
throughout the ages. "Nebach an apikkoris blaibt an apikoris." A saying
from R' Chaim Brisker.

If you have a counter-assertion kindly post it to Avodah where we can
discuss it.

>If he doesn't know them, he is NOT an apikorus.

>Or, as they say in the name of Rav Eizel Charif:
>On a train, a Maskil sat opposite the rabbi and bragged about all the
>general knowledge he had and how he didn't follow Torah etc. and how he was
>an apikorus.  When he took a break from speaking, Rav Eizel Charif (IIRC)
>asks him about how much Torah he has learned; how much G'mara and the Maskil
>admits to not learning any Judaica related studies.

>Rav Eizel says to him:  You are not an apikorus -- you are an ignoramus!!!
>[you are not metzuve to hate an ignoramus!]

It's a nice story and 'd'rash', but it doesn't speak to our issue. We are
referring to people who *fight* against Torah, "HAMISKOMEMIM AL HATORAH".
All others we feel great pity for, despite their status of apikoris.

KT,
MSS