[Avodah] Torah Study vs. other contributions to soCIETY

David Riceman driceman at att.net
Thu May 10 15:33:10 PDT 2007

Samuel Svarc wrote:

>  one might not be obligated to learn all day <snip>, but it definitely is preferred over
> other Mitzvos. R' Lampel was pointing out that the obligation to interrupt
> Talmud Torah for an immediate necessary deed, does not extent to training
> for that necessary deed. So one can't interrupt Talmud Torah to train for
> Zaka. If one is not learning full time, like R' Riceman's doctor, then we
> all agree that it's "admirable" to volunteer for gemilas chasadim.

Consider the (not uncommon) case of someone who has been studying in
Yeshiva full time for several years, and one semester takes a course in
some money making skill.  So, for example, on Tuesday and Thursday
afternoons he no longer studies in Yeshiva, instead he studies plumbing
in a trade school.  He is not being m'vatel a seder kavua of talmud
Torah on those days; instead he is changing his ittim k'vuim so they
don't include Tuesday and Thursday afternoons.

I think it's very hard to find any realistic example of training which
is prohibited by this halacha.

David Riceman