[Avodah] Ahavat Yisrael

Shoshana L. Boublil toramada at bezeqint.net
Wed May 9 09:02:37 PDT 2007

> The question of what, who and how to hate is a gemara on Pesachim
> 113b. If you want to discuss it, take it to Avodah.

So, here is the first installment:

Source: BeAhava U'VeEmuna, chapter 14 "Ahavat Yisrael".

(thanks to Dov Goldstein, who produced the Rav Kook writings CD).

> I am arguing that the post-Enlightenment reality has made such
> judgments impossible. And therefore while there ideas out there that I
> hate, I feel only pain for those who are doing them. I would not take
> RtSLB's position that there is no such chiyuv.

Actually, Rav Kook quotes the Chafetz Chaim in his book "Ahavat Chesed".
The Chafetz Chaim quotes Rabbi Yehonatan Vohliner: The Din that it is
allowed or a Mitzva to hate people that don't follow the straight path, is
only after you reproved (Hochichuhu), but it is forbidden to hate him until
all the options have been tried.  And, as the Tana'im have already informed
us "Temeihani Im Yesh BaDor HaZeh SheYode'ah LeHochi'ach" (Arachin 16b)
Mimeila, it is forbidden (!!!!-SLB) to hate anyone.

Rav Kook continues that nowadays, we are not supposed to use the educational
tools of Sin'a at all!

(Further proofs in the next post).

Shoshana L. Boublil