[Avodah] Yebamoth and Megilath Ruth

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Tue May 8 11:04:53 PDT 2007

RZS writes:

>>Ruth and Orpah were not Jewish when they were married to Machlon  and
Kilyon.  We learn hilchot gerut from the exchange between Ruth  and
Naomi on their way to EY, after Machlon and Kilyon died.   Therefore
they were never legally married to Machlon and Kilyon, and had  Naomi
remarried and had a son, he would have been allowed to marry the  now-
Jewish Ruth.<<

Yes but what mitzva of yibum is there if your brother married a  non-Jew?

If she converts to Judaism after he dies, she is now a new-born  person, not
his wife.

Actually I always wondered that about the whole story of Ruth.  It  seems to
me it was more of a midas chasidus, lifnim mishuras hadin, for Boaz to  marry
Ruth.  Surely no one had any yibum obligation towards her -- is what  it seems
to me.

--Toby  Katz