[Avodah] When do the malachim come?

Dov Kay dov_kay at hotmail.co.uk
Wed May 2 08:49:03 PDT 2007

My shul, Etz Chaim in Manchester, recently voted to reinstitute the
German-Jewish minhagim which, for various reasons, it dropped a few years
ago.

I was asked to daven kabbolas Shabbos last week and took the initiative to
daven from the shulchan (ie the almemar), not the amud at the front.

The next morning, I was informed that in Hungary (presumably Oberland), they
would say the whole of kabbolas from the shulchan, but in Germany they would
only say Lecha Dodi from the shulchan;  l’chu neranena was said from the
amud.

This puzzles me.  I always understood that kabbolas Shabbos is said from the
shulchan because it is not part of the formal seder haTefillah.  The
recitation of both l’chu neranena and lecha dodi was instituted by the
kabbalists in Tz’fas.  They are both additions, so why distinguish between
the two?  I surmise that l’chu neranena is from Tehillim and therefore
appears more traditional than lecha dodi, which is openly (if only
metaphorically) kabbalistic in intent and meaning.

Kol tuv
Dov Kay