[Avodah] Love your fellow as yourself

Daniel Eidensohn yadmoshe at 012.net.il
Tue May 1 17:36:19 PDT 2007

Prof. Levine wrote:
> The new translation of RSRH's commentary on Vayikra translates pasuk
> 19:18 as "but you shall love your neighbor's welfare as though it were
> your own."
>
> From Rav Hirsch's commentary it seems to me that he interprets the
> work l'ray'acha to apply to all of mankind, to one's fellow man, and
> not just to one's fellow Jew. Indeed, he writes, "For the duty of love
> that is under discussion here is incumbent in regard to *_all_* our
> fellow men." (page 624. My emphasis on the word all.)  Further in his
> commentary of this pasuk Rav Hirsch refers to Avos 6:1, namely that
> one who loves Hashem loves His creatures. His creatures would, of
> course, include all mankind.
>
> Yet, according to the Chinuch and the Rambam, ray'acha is taken to
> refer to one's fellow Jew only.

A support for the general understanding is found in Rashi(Shabbos 31a).
Rashi understands Hillel's response as a parapharase of Vayikra (19:18).
[As does the Maharsha] Concerning the idea of learning all the Torah on
one foot. "That which is hateful to your chaver (ray'acha) don't do.
Rashi says your chaver (ray'acha) either means G-d or man. If it means
man that means not to steal and do the other mitzvos which are relevant
to man. He doesn't differentiate between Jew and non-Jew.

Daniel Eidensohn