[Avodah] Did Shlomo HaMelech lie when suggesting the baby be cut?

Meir Rabi meirabi at optusnet.com.au
Wed May 2 02:13:28 PDT 2007

Did Shlomo HaMelech lie when he proposed that the baby be cut?

The Gemara Shevuos 30 defines MidVar SheKer TirChok as misrepresenting that
two witnesses exist thereby inducing an admission, rather than presenting a
single witness which only requires that an oath be taken, and we are fairly
sure he will swear falsely. There is no suggestion that any testimony is
presented, the fake witness just comes along to BD and just by impression,
convinces the admission of the defendant.

 One would have thought this a fantastic outcome, no lies, false oaths and
true restitution. But we are wrong, this is bad, evil and sinful.

Now, how was the ploy utilised by Shlomo HaMelech any different? He
threatened to cut the baby thereby discovering the true mother.

meir