[Avodah] Judaism abhors extremism, as tempting as it may be

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Tue Apr 24 03:21:06 PDT 2007

At 01:35 AM 04/24/2007, Micha wrote:
>A topic for Avodah, but I believe the Rambam's shevil hazahav is one
>of utilizing both ends of the spectrum more than finding a point
>between them.

 From http://mishmar.blogspot.com/2006/08/centrism-and-extremism.html

As the Chazon Ish (Iggeros Chazon Ish 3:61), in a letter which is all
but the antithesis of Centrism, put it:

"Just as simplicity and truth are synonymous, so are extremism and
greatness synonymous...We are accustomed to hearing in well-known
circles, as announcing about themselves that they have no share among
the extremists, and they nevertheless reserve for the themselves the
right of (being) a loyal Jew with sufficient Emunah in Torah and the
words of Torah. And we allow ourselves to state from the
vantage-point of justice, that just as among those who love wisdom
there is no love for a bit of it and hatred of abundance of it, so
too there is not among those who love Torah and Mitzvos a love of the
middling and a hatred of extremism.

All the fundamentals of faith, the 13 principles, and their
derivatives, are always in vigorous contradiction to easily grasped
concepts and the ebb and flow of life developed under the sun. And
their clear and justified cognition, which grants an excess of
particularism in believing in them, is the pleasantness of extremism.

And those who testify about themselves that they have not tasted the
sweetness of extremism, are simultaneously testifying that they are
lacking in faith in the principles of the religion in terms of their
analytical prowess and emotional bonds, and only with the ropes of
some level of relationship are they tethered to them. And the
extremists, at the depths of their soul, with all of their most
intense wish to pity those lacking in extremism, will not accord
respect and honor to those who oppose them. And the abyss which
divides them, when it meets with practical actions which create, by
the force of their nature, arguments and bickering, will add to the
rift incurably.

The Beinonius which has the right of existence, is the attribute of
the Beinonim who love extremism and strive for it with all of the
will of their soul, and they educate their descendants to the apex of
extremism. But how pathetic is the Beinonius which has contempt for
extremism. The obligation of our Chinuch is to extremism! The armory
of Chinuch is, to plant contempt and disgust for those who mock extremism."

Yitzchok Levine