[Avodah] YHA she-chal be-BHB

Rabbi Daniel Yolkut HaLeviY at aol.com
Tue Apr 17 09:51:09 PDT 2007

Message: 12
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 11:52:13 +0300
From: "Marty Bluke" <marty.bluke at gmail.com>
Subject: [Avodah] Behab and Yom Haatzmaut
To: avodah at lists.aishdas.org

This year the first day of Behab falls out next Monday which also
happens to be the fifth of Iyyar, Yom Haatzmaut. I am very curious as
to what people who usually observe both (e.g. say selichos on Behab
and say Hallel on Yom Haatzmaut) will do next Monday when the 2 clash.
Will you say both selichos and Hallel? Skip selichos?

The problem would seem to be averted, since YHA is being observed on 6 Iyyar
this year, b/c of concerns of chilul Shabbos with Yom haZikaron on Motz'Sh.
However, the practice in RZ circles seems to be to begin BHB after 5 Iyyar
in any case. See Shanah b'Shanah (the luach put out by the Rabbanut at
http://www.daat.ac.il/daat/toshba/dinim-7/8-2.htm )

I was told that in Merkaz haRav in the early days of the State, when BHB and
YHA would coincide, that both selichos and Hallel were recited, but I have
not seen this in writing.

Daniel Yolkut