[Avodah] More on Mitzvos and Iyun

Michael Kopinsky mkopinsky at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 18:19:13 PDT 2007

On 4/11/07, Shoshana L. Boublil <toramada at bezeqint.net> wrote:

> The 2nd issue is based on the saying: "Just b/c I teach geometry, doesn't
> mean I'm a triangle..."
>
> There are shitot of learning that invest in the training of the mind of
> the
> student, in his ability to use logic and learn the meaning of the G'marot
> --
> but completely ignore any kind of spiritual/emotional content.  It is
> these
> shitot that bring about the existence of people who can be brilliant when
> it
> comes to understand a G'mara -- and lousy as human beings.  For them,
> there
> is no connection whatsoever between what they are learning and what they
> must do, how they should act.
>
> In another post on Avodah, someone quoted the tale of Rabbi Shimon Ben
> Shetach's donkey (IIRC). How many times have we heard this Rav's response
> and guidance on how to act quoted by lomdei G'mara?  In fact, many people
> act like his talmidim and not like the rav at all!
>
> It is interesting that davka many places that teach according to the
> method
> mentioned in the 2nd issue above -- brought in Mussar.

When Gemara is taught correctly, as not just a training of the mind but a
tool in refining the person, a blatt Gemara really can be the best mussar
seder.  When Limud Gemara is divorced from character development, a separate
mussar seder is needed.  The places that didn't bring in mussar didn't think
that character development isn't important - they just thought the same
goals could be accomplished with learning Gemara.  If Gemara is learned
properly - they're right.

Michael