[Avodah] More on Mitzvos and Iyun

Shoshana L. Boublil toramada at bezeqint.net
Mon Apr 2 00:53:27 PDT 2007

Message: 2

Gluck wrote:
>: R' MB:
>:* Lomdus is of little practical value,
>
>: I would add: ...except if you are already a Baki.

>How is it of /practical/ value even to a baqi? Lomdus is
Torah lishmah,
>knowledge for the sake of knowing Retzon haBorei. It has no
applicability,

Okay, I'm having trouble here with the definitions. Perhaps
you could assist me:

Baqi - learning broadly and not deeply (?)
Lomdus -- learning as a process of logical analysis of
content (depth) (?)

If Lomdus is in depth, and the purpose is knowledge of
Retzon HaBorei how can that not be applicable?  If you know
what Hashem wants -- you won't do it???!!!

Or is Lomdus not in fact to know Retzon HaBorei but rather
it's a tool for sharpening the person's intellect, devoid of
contact with reality (similar to the saying that learning
Math doesn't make a person a triangle)?

Please enlighten me.

Shoshana L. Boublil