[Avodah] Fw: waiting 24 hours before libun

Celejar celejar at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 09:46:27 PDT 2007

Forwarding to avodah at the request of the moderators:

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 13:01:25 -0400
From: Celejar <celejar at gmail.com>
To: areivim at lists.aishdas.org
Subject: waiting 24 hours before libun

> Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 18:49:06 +0200
> From: "Dr. Josh Backon" <backon at vms.huji.ac.il>
> Subject: [Areivim] Josh's guide to Pessach cleaning
> To: areivim at lists.aishdas.org
>

> By the way, *I'm* the one who does the oven and refrigerator every year. (Like
> in the army where the captain asks for *volunteers*: YOU, YOU, and YOU :-)  )
> Here is Josh's guide to cleaning the oven and refrigerator:

[snip]

> 11) after waiting 24 hours without using the range or oven, turn oven
> and all 4
> burners on to highest for an hour, placing thick aluminium foil on the top of
> the 4 burners to get the metal glowing.

Waiting 24 hours from the last use before kashering is only required
for hagalah, not libun. See Hagalas Keilim chapter 6 paragraph 15, and
the sources in note 40. This would seem to apply even to libun kal, and
that's the opinion of the author of Hagalas Keilim, although in note 41
he cites the Siduro Shel Pesah who disagrees about libun kal, which he
dismisses as incorrect.

Yitzhak