[Mesorah] Ngayin

Minden phminden at arcor.de
Tue Dec 12 07:16:22 PST 2006

The other day I heard the idea that the ng pronunciation of Ayin might be the one the massoretes had in mind. I find this very interesting indeed - it would have the advantage of being easier to distinguish from Olef - after all a lack of distinction between the two happens not only among Ashkenazim, but also in the ancient world and among modern Oriental communities.

Still, without a documentation one would assume an Arabic-style Ayin, as in most communities who differentiate between Olef and Ayin.

If at the merger of Ayin and Ghayin, the latter prevailed, it would still not be nasal yet.

Another question is whether the assumed original sound is exactly like in the Spanish-Portuguese (plus Dutch Ashkenazi) and the Italki pronunciations (velar), in other words like an English ng in 'singer', or further to the back (pharyngeal)?

So, have you ever heard about this, or do you know sources or the like?

Lipman Phillip Minden
http://lipmans.blogspot.com