[Avodah] Dimensions of a circular sukkah

Kenneth Miller kennethgmiller at juno.com
Mon Sep 23 12:55:15 PDT 2013

R' Micha Berger wrote:

> Yes, three really is close enough to pi halakhah lemaseh. How
> do I know, because (as one example):
[[[ RMB quoted my citation of the Shaar Hatziyun's calculations ]]]
> IOW, why ask a question in surprise rather than take it as your
> answer?

Okay, let me reframe my problem... ("no pun intended", he said, on the fourth rereading :-)

Let's suppose I build a sukkah, perfectly circular, of a material of negligible thickness, and I measure the circumference to be 29.4 tefachim. I then say the bracha of Layshev and have a meal inside.

Later, I start filling in the bulges of the rounded walls, so that I'm left with four perfectly flat walls, of equal size and shape. I don't bother measuring them, because they obviously form a square of 7 tefachim on a side - the Beis Yosef said so.

Along comes a curious person with a ruler, and finds the diagonal of this square (formerly known as The Diameter Of The Circle) to be about 9.35831 tefachim. Intrigued, he measures the walls, and finds all of them to be only 6.61732 tefachim wide.

Is the sukkah still kosher?
Was it *ever* kosher?
If it had been kosher, but is now pasul, then at exactly which point did it become pasul?

Perhaps it is kosher for me, but not for the guy who measured it? Sort of like "shavya anafshay chaticha d'isura"?

Akiva Miller