[Avodah] technology and halacha

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Mon Sep 23 07:49:35 PDT 2013

On 23/09/2013 7:22 AM, Rich, Joel wrote:
> What is the earliest example of halacha responding to changes in
> technology (e.g. corrective lenses for torah reader)

Perhaps the earliest such adaptation was the switch from stone knives to
metal for bris milah.  Despite the medrash about Golyas, it seems to me
that it's far more likely to have been caused by advances in metallurgy.

Another early change would be the adoption of the talles koton, in response
to the change in clothing styles, resulting in people's normal clothes no
longer having four corners.

Or if you merely mean discussion of whether some technological change
will affect the halacha, then we have one in the gemara about whether the
new-fangled ink with vitriol in it is kosher for sta"m.

--
Zev Sero               A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and
zev at sero.name          substantial reason' why he should be permitted to