[Avodah] is it gezel?

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Mon Sep 16 15:43:29 PDT 2013

On 16/09/2013 6:10 PM, saul newman wrote:
> http://onegshabbat.blogspot.co.il/2013/09/blog-post_15.html
>
> to remove  an unauthorized  ad?

If it's litter, then you're doing the public a service by cleaning up.
And of course the bus station cleaning staff have every right to remove
it, since that's their job.

>  and what about the described issur of
> where this ad is placed?

The described issur is nonsense.  There's no "bal tashchis" issue.
But uglifying a window that everyone has to look at is at least a
public disservice.

Also, I very much doubt the operator of the bus station allows ads to
be stuck to the window, and the absence of other ads implies that it
enforces this policy (there can't be just one person who thinks it's
an appropriate place to advertise).

> does the rental money become then treife gelt?

Of course not.  Why would it be?  Why would the manner of advertising,
however problematic, affect the kashrus of any resulting transaction
between a willing tenant and a willing letter?

--
Zev Sero               A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and
zev at sero.name          substantial reason' why he should be permitted to