[Avodah] Eating = Hefsek?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Sep 16 08:20:56 PDT 2013

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 10:25:25AM -0400, Michael Kopinsky wrote:
: On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 3:43 AM, Moshe Y. Gluck <mgluck at gmail.com> wrote:
:> Is eating a hefsek? ..

: Related question - What about drinking? I've seen chazzanim on RH have a
: cup of tea with them at the bima that they sip from every so often..

While related, they're very different questions. The Chazan is presumably
drinking in order to enable davening. Since it's directly for the purpose
of davening, it's much easier to argue it's not a hefseiq.

For reasons much of the chrevrah know, I bring tea with me to shul every
Shabbos and Yom Tov. (Actually, I bring tea with me to most places.) I
would be in pain trying to say all those words (even just shomei'ah
le'azni) and unable to daven without it. My LOR said it's fine; but it
might be an ein danin es ha'efshar mishe'i efshar situation to extrapolate
from my case to the typical healthy chazan.

Micha Berger             It is harder to eat the day before Yom Kippur
micha at aishdas.org        with the proper intent than to fast on Yom
http://www.aishdas.org   Kippur with that intent.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                       - Rav Yisrael Salanter