[Avodah] What's the Truth About Tashlich?

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Thu Sep 12 17:02:28 PDT 2013

On 12/09/2013 7:18 PM, Moshe Y. Gluck wrote:
> So R’ NTzF pointed to a yellow cap in the ground and said that there
> was a mesorah that the Mei Shiloach ran under there. So the Talmid
> said, but Rebbe, there’s no water there now?! So R’ NTzF said, You
> think too much like an American! You think Tashlich is about the
> water? It’s about Davening!

Back when most people in Melbourne used to go to the beach for tashlich,
I saw R Chaim Mordechai Perlow z"l, who was too frail to walk that far,
go outside, turn on a tap in the shul driveway, and say tashlich by the
running water.  Tap water is, after all, connected to the reservoir (and
according the strict din may even be used for a mikveh).

--
Zev Sero               A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and
zev at sero.name          substantial reason' why he should be permitted to