[Avodah] Rosh Hashana: The Universal Two Day Yom Tov

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Thu Sep 12 16:24:26 PDT 2013

On 12/09/2013 5:39 PM, Lisa Liel wrote:
> See, and I would have phrased it differently.  "Although those of us
> living in Eretz Yisrael are zocheh to keep most yamim tovim the way
> they were originally intended to be observed, b'avonoteynu ha-rabbim,
> we are still stuck in the case of Rosh Hashanah."

You would rather have less kedusha than more?! There is an extra day
of Rosh Hashana, with all that comes with it, and you attribute it to
avonoteinu harabim and would rather not have it?!

When Ezra and Nechemia announced a second day of Rosh Hashana the people
cried, thinking that this meant they were still in galus, but they
assured them that this wasn't so: "Today is holy to Hashem your G-d,
don't mourn and don't cry [...] go eat fats and drink sweets, and send
presents to he who has nothing prepared [because they were only expecting
one day of yomtov], for today is holy to our L-rd, *and do not be sad*,
for Hashem's bliss is your fortress".

On 12/09/2013 7:13 PM, Micha Berger wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 05:52:11PM -0400, Prof. Levine wrote:
>: I prefer the way he put it.  Are not we who do not live in EY zoche
>: every year to extra days of kedusha that is d'rabanan that those in
>: EY "miss out on."
>
> ... and miss out on qedushah EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR.

True, but if you can have that kedusha *and* a second day of yomtov, that's
even better!

> Besides, a reason why Yom Tov sheini shel goliyos has value is because
> it takes us two days in galus to achieve the same qedushah one can reach
> in one day in Eretz Yisrael!

Again, if you can then have a second day anyway, how much better.

--
Zev Sero
zev at sero.name