[Avodah] shma kolenu

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Wed Sep 11 15:13:07 PDT 2013

On 11/09/2013 6:01 PM, Micha Berger wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 08, 2013 at 10:01:55PM +0300, Eli Turkel wrote:
> : 1) why is the phase yewhi leratzon imre phi ... recited quietly
>
> To my mind, this isn't the part that sticks out. We always say "yehi
> leratzon imrei fi" quietly. Most even have the chazan opening chazaras
> hasha"tz by saying it quitetly.

Closing, not opening.

> And it's in the singular, meaning it's
> something I'm saying for myself, not for the tzibur. So why would we
> proclaim it together congregationally?

No, it's in the plural.

> 1- Why am I interrupting the sequence to ask Hashem to listen to my
> tefillos? Why is it not in the beginning, before the tefillah, like at
> Shemoneh Esrei?

No, it's at the end there.   Here, depending on what nusach you're using
it's either close to the end (second last line), or (as RET's question
assumes)bang in the middle.

> 2- Alternatively, why don't we shift the request into being part of the
> tefillah, by turning it into the plural?

We do.

--
Zev Sero               A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and
zev at sero.name          substantial reason' why he should be permitted to