[Avodah] Nesane Tokef

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Sep 11 07:05:12 PDT 2013

On Sun, Sep 08, 2013 at 09:27:09PM IDT, R Eli Turkel wrote:
> I saw an interesting comment from from R. Brander.

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 02:33pm (PDT), R Saul newman gave us the URL:
:
: http://download.yutorah.org/2013/1053/Rosh_Hashanah_To-Go_-_5774_Rabbi_Brander.pdf

Or http://j.mp/17ZIPyI

Back to RET:
>                                                    He says that the Or
> Zarua uses the language "Yesed Unesane Tokef". Thus his interpretaion
> is that it was established in Ashkenaz by a Rav Amnon. However, indeed
> it was written many centuries earlier.

On Sun, Sep 08, 2013 at 03:30:25PM (EDT), Lisa asked RET:
> What's his source for that conclusion?

I'm missing the question.

The story dates back at least to 1205 (where it was found in a manuscript
machzor in Oxford), and the OZ (1180-1250) saw it in the writings of a
R' Ephraim miBuna bar Yaaqov (1132). So, the connection between R' Amnon
miMagentza and Unsaneh Toqef was made within a century of when the story
is placed, and made by someone who was a known expert in older piyut.

So the question is, which is more plausible:

1- That people already thought that R' Amnon composed the piyut himself
that soon after the event,

2- The mistake was made because people presumed that Or Zarua's "yasad"
meant authorship.

GCT!

Micha Berger             With the "Echad" of the Shema, the Jew crowns
micha at aishdas.org        G-d as King of the entire cosmos and all four
http://www.aishdas.org   corners of the world, but sometimes he forgets
Fax: (270) 514-1507      to include himself.     - Rav Yisrael Salanter