[Avodah] Rambam on False Messiahs

Lisa Liel lisa at starways.net
Sat Aug 31 21:38:53 PDT 2013

On 8/30/2013 10:43 AM, saul newman wrote:
> from the tenor of  rMB and r ZS   discussion ,  it sounds  like
>  mashiach is  sent  without the Dor being worthy necessarily ,   but
>  then the klal blows  the opportunity .

See, I don't read it that way.  Mashiach isn't "sent".  That's an idea
that's rooted in Christianity.  Mashiach isn't some otherworldly
creature.  He's flesh and blood like me and you.  He isn't mashiach
prior to accomplishing the things the Rambam lists.  That's just the
label that's put on the leader who does those things.

Bar Kochva was a leader who looked like he had a chance of freeing us
from Rome.  He accomplished enough that in the words of Rambam, he was
b'chezkat she'hu mashiach.  I think the Rambam's whole point is that
while we can't wait for some supernatural Mashiach to come before doing
these things, we also can't wait until someone has done everything
before we start acting on the presumption that's he's the one who *will*
do everything.

I honestly don't see any rav who isn't involved in the day-to-day
leadership of the Jews in Israel ever becoming Mashiach.  It's contrary
not only to what the Rambam wrote, but to the way Rabbi Akiva clearly
saw things.  He didn't posit that one of his teachers was Mashiach,
after all.  Mashiach may not be the greatest talmid chacham of his
generation.  Will he learn Torah?  Sure.  Will he keep the mitzvot?
Sure.  But no one who sits cloistered away in the Beit Midrash is ever
going to be the leader that the nevi'im talked about.

Lisa