[Avodah] self defense against rape or assault

Kenneth Miller kennethgmiller at juno.com
Fri Aug 30 15:14:16 PDT 2013

R' Zev Sero wrote:

> ... I think that's why the question was posed as it was, as
> more theoretical than practical.  Suppose one *could* know
> -- "as clear as  the day" -- that the beating one is suffering
> (or about to suffer) would not result in death.

In such a totally theoretical situation, I suppose it would indeed be forbidden to kill the attacker.

But I don't know why you use the words
> why the question was posed as it was,
> as more theoretical than practical.

I saw nothing of that sort in R' Mordechai Cohen's post, which sounded very practical to me. He had written:

> I was asked if one halachically allowed to kill an attacker
> to save yourself from being raped or beaten?
> (rape question is where the victim is not married and the
> posukim of na'arah m'orasah don't apply)

If the *actual* original question, as posed *TO* R' Mordechai Cohen, had additional theoretical factors which were not mentioned in his post, I cannot be responsible for that.

Akiva Miller