[Avodah] Yom Kippur on Shabbos: Kiddush?

Kenneth Miller kennethgmiller at juno.com
Mon Aug 12 19:48:12 PDT 2013

R' Zev Sero wrote:

> Kiddush, according to many rishonim, is the same: the
> chachamim decreed that one must fulfil ones d'oraisa
> obligation over wine. If one said "mekadesh hashabbos" with
> the specific kavanah of fulfilling ones chiyuv d'oraisa it
> would still *work*, but one would be violating the
> chachamim's decree not to do so. On yom kippur they didn't
> make this rule, so it remains as it was before they came
> along, and one is yotzei with a verbal mention.

I think that your "many rishonim" are Tosfos and Rambam, who we follow, and NOT Rashi.

Rashi hold that the requirement of wine was not something that Chazal added on later, but is a requirement from the Torah from the beginning. Here are some excerpts from Aruch Hashulchan 271:2 (which I did point to in my first post). I concede in advance that I may have misunderstood some of the finer points, so I'll welcome any correction. But here's what I think the AhS wrote:

"But according to Rashi in Brachos [20b], he wrote: Kiddush Hayom is a Mitzvas Aseh Shehazman Grama. Remember the Shabbos day to make it holy - Remember it with wine!" End of quote. He is blatantly saying that it is D'Oraisa.  And the Mefaresh at the beginning of Nazir [4a] says the same thing, the Kiddush on wine was already sworn and in effect [mushba v'omed] since Har Sinai. See there. And so says the Ran in Pesachim, that the daytime Kiddush Al Hakos is d'rabanan, but the nighttime kiddush is d'Oraisa, as it is a genuine drasha..."

I believe that the "genuine drasha" is the one that the AhS mentioned earlier in 271:1. He refers to Braisa in Pesachim which makes the jump from "Zachor Es yom Hashabbos L'Kadsho" to "Zochrehu Al Hayayin" (from Remember Shabbos to Remember it on Wine). The difference is that in Seif 1, Tosfos and Rambam take that to be a mere asmachta for the mitzvah d'rabanan, whereas in Seif 2, Rashi takes it to be a "genuine drasha" that the wine is an absolute requirement without which one is not yotzay the Mitzvah D'Oraisa.

And that's what leads me to my question: What would Rashi have us do when Yom Kippur falls on Shabbos?

Note: I quoted the AhS as referring to "Brachos [20b]". The AhS actually says "Brachos [2b]", but I could not find it there, and I did find it on 20b.

Akiva Miller