[Avodah] Eishet Yefat Toar

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Mon Aug 12 17:59:47 PDT 2013

On 12/08/2013 8:56 PM, Micha Berger wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 08:45:33PM -0400, Zev Sero wrote:
>>> The Giyur of an Eshet Yefat Toar is fundamentally different than
>>> regular Giyur, I think. From what I understood from Rashi, the Giyur
>>> is "Ba'al korchah"....
>
>> So?  There still has to be a giyur, because there's no other way someone
>> can become Jewish.  And obviously that is the point at which she becomes
>> Jewish...
>
> Unless it's more like the geirus of a shifchah, and happens (also baal
> korchah) when she is acquired. Not as a separate step.

No, it is a separate step.  A market transaction does not transform a
nochri into a person who is mechuyav in mitzvos.  An eved has to be brought
before a beis din, and undergo tevilah leshem avdus, and a formal kabolas
ol mitzvos.

--
Zev Sero               A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and
zev at sero.name          substantial reason' why he should be permitted to