[Avodah] Eishet Yefat Toar

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Mon Aug 12 17:45:33 PDT 2013

On 12/08/2013 12:41 PM, Liron Kopinsky wrote:

>>> At what point in the process does the Eishet Yefat Toar become Jewish?

>> Presumably she needs to go through a proper giyur before a beis
>> din. The Torah doesn't say so because it's obvious. But that would
>> be when she becomes Jewish; how *else* could it be?

> The Giyur of an Eshet Yefat Toar is fundamentally different than
> regular Giyur, I think. From what I understood from Rashi, the Giyur
> is "Ba'al korchah". See Rashi on 22A Likuchin Yesh Lecha Bah.
> "Kiddushin Tofsin, Af Al Pi SheHayta Ovedet Kochavim, Sheharei Eina
> MitGayeret MiDa'atah."

So?  There still has to be a giyur, because there's no other way someone
can become Jewish.  And obviously that is the point at which she becomes
Jewish.  The giyur of an eved is also not exactly mida'ato.   And the
giyur of a katan at his father's request is not mida'ato.

--
Zev Sero               A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and
zev at sero.name          substantial reason' why he should be permitted to