[Avodah] Must We Agree With The Torah?

cantorwolberg at cox.net cantorwolberg at cox.net
Mon Aug 12 08:41:49 PDT 2013

As usual, R' Micha makes very valid and cogent points.

I think a more reasonable answer is that we are partnered with Him in a project they
aren't, and therefore need to be more careful and work beyond "merely"
being ideal people.

This ties in, I believe, with the concept of l'or goyim.

After the universal sentiment of "Yotzeir Or" or "HaMaariv Aravim",
the 2nd berakhah before Shema is "Oheiv Amo Yisrael". And this love
isn't a *consequence* of our keeping the Torah, but an unconditional
love that is the *cause* of our receiving it.

So does it mean because He loves his People Israel that he doesn't
love people outside of Judaism? And if you say that it means He loves
His people more than why didn't it say "Who loves His People Israel MORE
than the other nations?  Remember too, the midrash that says: "My creatures
are drowning and you're singing (rejoicing)!"

Israel is dear because they were called children of the Omnipresent.

L'havdil, it's interesting that the xtians have applied this concept to their
messiah and call him the son of G-d.