[Avodah] Must we agree with the Torah?

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Mon Aug 12 02:25:53 PDT 2013

On 9/08/2013 5:37 PM, cantorwolberg at cox.net wrote:

> On Aug 9, 2013, at 1:43 PM, avodah-request at lists.aishdas.org wrote:
>
>> one could also suppose that He warned us off it and not them, because He loves us more.
>
> That's the kind of comment that incites anti-Semitism.

So?  It's the truth.  He has told us so many many times.  So it could easily
explain why He warned us off pork and didn't warn them off it.  But it's not
the only possible explanation, and it's not the one we've been given.  OTOH
the explanation we *have* been given is even *more* likely to cause resentment.

> It's also the type of statement that fundamentalists of other religions articulate.

Again, so?  The difference between us and them is that they're wrong and we're
right.

> To say He loves us more is an insult to all non Jews.

How so?  But if it is so, then again, so what?  He has explicitly told us that
this is the case.

> One has to be careful about comments that initiate negativity.

One cannot forget the truth just because other people might not like to hear
it.  One needn't necessarily flaunt it in front of them, but one must remember
that it remains true.

--
Zev Sero               A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and
zev at sero.name          substantial reason' why he should be permitted to