[Avodah] Essay by R' Aaron Lichtenstein re: Must We Agree with the Torah

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Sun Aug 11 04:33:54 PDT 2013

> Ultimately, the ideal for a person should be that, if the Shulchan
> Aruch says don't eat ham, then I should feel revulsion for ham. But
> the question is: What is the basis of that revulsion? If a person
> feels revulsion towards shrimp or lobster because of some aesthetic
> consideration therefore he doesn't eat it, then his not eating it is
> simply a part of the aesthete in him. However, if a person feels that
> on aesthetic grounds he could eat it, but now he has reached a point
> where his revulsion is due to the fact that G-d has forbidden it –
> how can I want something that G-d forbids? - then he has reached a
> level for which a person should strive.

This.  This is exactly what I've been saying.

Though Chazal tell us explicitly that there are also some forbidden things
that we naturally dislike, and would not eat even if they were permitted,
and the only reason Hashem forbade them was to give us a "free" mitzvah
(rotzoh HKBH lezakos es yisroel).

--
Zev Sero               A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and
zev at sero.name          substantial reason' why he should be permitted to