[Avodah] Must we agree with the Torah?

Meir Shinnar chidekel at .gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 13:35:40 PDT 2013

> The Rambam is usually explained as making a chiluq between mitzvos sichlios
> and shim'iyos. IOW, the Sifrei bedavqa applies to shaatnez or maachalos
> asuros, but not to something people have a native understanding of, like
> arayos.

Much of the Rambam's Shmona Perakim is devoted to this (BTW, I don't
think using the categories of sichliyos and shimiyos is correct - that
is far more R Saadiah's distinction - the category is more mefursamot
vesus shimiyot..). However, in the shmona perakim, arayot seem to be
in the same category as shaatnez, and his examples are precisely from
the gmara that amoraim had the yetzer for arayot - as distinct from
mefursamot such as gezel and murder - a moral human being can still have
yetzer for arayot, but should not have yetzer for gezel...

Meir Shinnar