[Avodah] Must we agree with the Torah?

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Fri Aug 9 10:53:58 PDT 2013

On 9/08/2013 1:43 PM, Micha Berger wrote:
> So it could be a position somewhere between "because He said so" and
> "because it makes sense" -- "because I trust that whatever He says
> does make sense."

This.  Except not *because* I trust that.  I do trust that it makes sense,
but the "naaseh" doesn't depend on that; we would do it even if we somehow
knew that it didn't make sense.  At least, that's how I understand "ilu
nitztavinu lachtov eitzim".  (How could we possibly know that a mitzvah
made no sense, even to Hashem?  Perhaps only if He told us.)

--
Zev Sero               A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and
zev at sero.name          substantial reason' why he should be permitted to