[Avodah] Synthetic Meat

Nachum Binyamin Klafter, MD doctorklafter at cinci.rr.com
Sun Aug 4 19:09:03 PDT 2013

We will need to see precisely how the tissue is grown.  However, I assume
that the following is the case:  Stem cells which are in an aqueous solution
and have absolutely no visible, detectable metziyus, were injected with
genetic material from the nuclei of cardiac cells.  The cells divide on an
agar medium.  The basic building blocks of those cells (amino acides,
nucleic acids, sugar, minerals, glucose) will be provided to those cells.

My understanding is that the "meat" would be parve, and that there should be
no problem of eiver min-ha-chay or any other kashrus issue.

At a certain point, the relevant sequences of DNA will be synthesized with
viruses and bacteria, and no animal will be the "source" of any of these
ingredients to the synthetic meat.  Rather, the animals genome is the source
of the information being used to clone the cells.

It should not be very hard to synthesize parve milk as well.

--
Nachum Klafter, MD
נחום בנימין קלאפטער
doctorklafter at cinci.rr.com