[Avodah] Life iver

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Thu Aug 1 18:59:27 PDT 2013

On 1/08/2013 9:32 PM, Eli Turkel wrote:
>  From what I have read there is no problem in giving someone food from a hasgacha that he uses but the giver doesn't as long as the hasgacha is a recognized one.

What does it mean that it's a recognised one?  Usually it means that one
accepts that its food is probably -- or even certainly -- kosher, and would
eat it in an emergency, but prefers to be mehader when one can.  The other
person is not obligated to adopt the same hiddurim.   But here we're discussing
something that one holds is assur; the fact that there are poskim who permit
it is a limud zechus for those who follow them, they are not baalei aveira,
they are kosher le'eidus, one may rely on "stam keilim einan benei yoman" to
eat in their homes, but the bottom line is that the food they're asking you to
give them is (in your opinion) treif!  It's assur, both to you and to them!
The fact that they honestly believe it to be kosher, and that they have a
*right* to believe that, only makes them all the more "blind" in the matter!
So how can one put a stumbling block before them?

If one is invited to dinner at the home of a Rhinelander, may one bring him
the chelev of the stomach, that we hold is an issur kares, knowing that he
will surely eat it?

--
Zev Sero               A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and
zev at sero.name          substantial reason' why he should be permitted to