[Avodah] Are there limits on what must be returned

David Riceman driceman at optimum.net
Wed Jul 31 15:44:27 PDT 2013

RYN (cited by RGD):
>>    Rabbi: No need to return lost smartphone
>>
>> *Halachic ruling issued by Rabbi Karelitz says because advanced cellular phone is 'not kosher,' there is no obligation to give it back to its owner*

It regularly happens in the gemara that some student sees a guy doing
something wrong, complains to his rebbe, and the rebbe says "hanach
leih, k'rabbeih sevirah leih."  In this case does RK think that his
opinion is the only legitimate one, or (which I suspect is more likely)
is he talking about the case of a community in which the rov accept him
as posek, or in which the owner of this particular cellphone accepts him
as posek?

David Riceman