[Avodah] Open Orthodoxy, again

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Jul 31 17:47:34 PDT 2013

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 06:40:06PM -0500, Lisa Liel wrote:
>> And the Abarbanel. I don't see the major chiddush, though..
>> of the seifer is a collection of speaches (and a poem) said by Moshe
>> anyway.

>> Saying that part of Bereishis was redacted from something Avraham wrote...

> There's nothing at all wrong with that...

I didn't mean there was anything wrong. Just that it was a bigger
chiddush. There aren't that many pesuqim that aren't attributed to
Moshe within the text. Around 12 pesuqim until you get past the final
berakhos. So no matter how you slice it, Moshe had to have more of a
hand in these verses than the other 4 chumashim.

It also explains why "Deteronomic History": Devarim, Yehoshua, Shofetim,
Shemuel and Melakhim, sounds like it was the product of one school. Moshe
did teach Yehoshua, who taught... What they call "Deut" we call the
people who make up the beginning of Avos.

But the whole point was to give options that were kosher (not wrong)
alternatives to bible criticism.

BTW, about the subject line, the IRF distanced themselves from all this
http://www.internationalrabbinicfellowship.org/news/irf-confirms-commitment-torah-min-hashamayim
I have misgivings about the wording (you need to agree that " the
principle of Torah Min Hashamyim within the parameters outlined by
classical Rishonim, Aharonim and contemporary Orthodox rabbinic scholars"
definitively excudes Farberism, and about Zev Farber still having his
job and soapbox. But at this point it's premature to talk about this as
though it's "Open O"'s problem.

Micha Berger             Live as if you were living already for the
micha at aishdas.org        second time and as if you had acted the first
http://www.aishdas.org   time as wrongly as you are about to act now!
Fax: (270) 514-1507            - Victor Frankl, Man's search for Meaning