[Avodah] non kosher phone

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Jul 31 13:47:10 PDT 2013

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 02:58:15PM -0400, Eli Turkel wrote:
: Rav Karelitz has paskened that there is no mitzvah (not allowed?) to return
: a lost non-kosher phone

What if, because you didn't return it, you never learn that this owner
follows the same posqim as you but was given a personal heter?
(E.g. http://www.bhol.co.il/article.aspx?id=45298 )
After all, it's not that smartphones themselves are assur (they post-date
"mah shetiqnu chakhamim) but that they, plus a given person, poses
challenges that are being described as assur to take on.

But more generally... Is there an issue of lifnei iveir when the other
party holds something is mutar, but can't do it without your help?
Lifnei iveir poses some interesting paradoxes for eilu va'eilu. Can
someone who only holds lehalakhah that one may only consume literal
chalav yisrael provide for other Jews chalav hacompanies? Can a Sepharadi
sell me non-bet Yosef meat?

And if he can sell me that beef, why can't someone return me my cell
phone?

Micha Berger             The trick is learning to be passionate in one's
micha at aishdas.org        ideals, but compassionate to one's peers.
http://www.aishdas.org
Fax: (270) 514-1507