[Avodah] Geocentrism

David Riceman driceman at optimum.net
Tue Jul 30 08:11:40 PDT 2013

RDC:

<<But it's important to remember that laws of physics are descriptive
rather than prescriptive. The world doesn't "follow" the laws of
physics. We make certain observations about the universe, and we then
attempt to come up with a consistent set of rules -- a model of physics
-- that elegantly explains it.>>

I don't think that's true.  A hint in your own paragraph is the elision
from "descriptive" to "explains".  That is, physicists don't think they
are making a convenient summary of how the world works; they think that
the possibility of such a convenient summary implies something deep
about the structure of the world which helps explain that structure.

And their objection to geocentrism is precisely that it denies the value
of that deep explanation.

David Riceman