[Avodah] Grape juice

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Wed Jul 24 13:06:26 PDT 2013

On 24/07/2013 3:49 PM, Gershon Dubin wrote:
> From: Zev Sero zev at sero.name <mailto:zev at sero.name>
>
> On 24/07/2013 1:03 PM, Eitan Levy wrote:
>  > does moving a closed (but not sealed) bottle over a couple of inches to
>  > wipe the shelf even create a problem in terms of �stam yaynam?�
>
> Yes.  If the wine sloshes inside the bottle it becomes assur.  Only if it
> remains perfectly still while she's moving it can it remain permitted.
>
> NO.  See Yoreh Deah 125:9;  124:25 and Shach 74 there, Chochmas Odom Klal 76:10 etc.

I stand corrected.  That'll teach me to answer from memory instead of
looking it up.  But if so, what's the purpose of a double seal?  Is that
only necessary when the wine is in a nochri's possession, to prevent
substitution?  If so, why is one seal not enough, as it is for meat, fish,
etc?

--
Zev Sero               A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and
zev at sero.name          substantial reason' why he should be permitted to