[Avodah] Geocentrism

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Jul 24 13:03:26 PDT 2013

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 03:31:26PM -0400, Chesky Salomon wrote:
: A similar "frum" view of heliocentrism is as old as the theory.  The
: publisher of Copernicus's book added a disclaimer, saying, "they are
: not put forward to convince anyone that they are true, but merely to
: provide a reliable basis for computation."

But the error I was trying to disabuse people of was that RMMS didn't
deny heliocentrism. He was defending Chazal's saying that the sun, moon,
planets and stars go around the earth. It wasn't an error.

I don't believe Chazal knew more astronomy than their contemporaries
did. But I also don't believe in misconstruing RMMS in a way that causes
people to underestimate his subtlety of thought.

Micha Berger             Strength does not come from winning. Your
micha at aishdas.org        struggles develop your strength When you go
http://www.aishdas.org   through hardship and decide not to surrender,
Fax: (270) 514-1507      that is strength.        - Arnold Schwarzenegger