[Avodah] Traditional Methodologies

Lisa Liel lisa at starways.net
Tue Jul 23 13:55:30 PDT 2013

On 7/23/2013 2:25 PM, Rich, Joel wrote:
>> It should be noted that Dr. Farber's Academic Bible studies at Hebrew U,
>> at which point he had already rejected the traditional understanding
>> of Torah min HaShamayim (by his own admission), took place BEFORE he
>> entered YCT.
>>

>> Lisa
>>

> Is it the contention that simply by studying Academic Bible one has
> rejected the traditional understanding of Torah Min Hashamayim?

It depends on how one does it.  Most (not all, but most) academic Bible
study starts from the /a priori/ assumption that the Torah was /not/
given by God in its current form.  Further, most academic Bible study is
entirely closed to that as so much as a possibility.

Engaging in that sort of study as a kind of thought experiment is one
thing.  But accepting it is certainly a rejection of Torah min
ha-Shamayim.  Sort of by its very definition.

> On a related (in my mind) topic -- if time viewing were invented so that
> one could observe (but not impact) prior events, would we accept the
> "testimony" of the tannaim and amorayim as to what was actually said or
> would this be considered a nontraditional methodology?

Get back to me when you have a time machine.

Lisa