[Avodah] self cleaning oven

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Fri Jul 19 09:15:31 PDT 2013

From: Eli Turkel <eliturkel at gmail.com>
"

>From  what I have seen the consensus is that one can kasher a self cleaning
oven by  putting it through its cycle. This also applies to the racks inside
the  oven.

Question: If one puts a pot that needs libun inside the self  cleaning oven
during its clean cycle is that also ok?

--
Eli  Turkel

IIRC the Blumenkrantz Pesach book says you can kasher the grates of the
stovetop this way -- by putting them in the self-cleaning oven -- so it seems
to  me you could do the same with a pot, but I will let the scholars here
answer  that question.

However:   be warned that if the pot has non-metal handles, they  will be
turned into ashes snowing on the bottom of your oven.  I found that  out by
accident -- I didn't notice the pot hiding in the back of the oven before  I
turned it on.  Also, the incineration of the plastic releases malodorous
and possibly dangerous fumes.

PS In a Purim skit my husband once had people kashering paper plates with a
 blowtorch.

--Toby Katz