[Avodah] Knobbelach

Kenneth Miller kennethgmiller at juno.com
Thu Jul 11 06:25:43 PDT 2013

R"n Toby Katz wrote:

> If the very words "it makes sense" can be understood so
> differently by different people, it's a wonder that we can
> communicate at all with  this limited tool we have -- language!
> One wonders how many halachic  and hashkafic disputes have
> arisen because different speakers had different understandings
> of the very words they were using.

My favorite example is more technological/societal, rather than linguistic, but I think it still bears repeating here: A superficial reading of their seforim could lead one to think that Rav Shimon Eider and the Shmirat Shabbat disagree about the halacha of soup nuts on Shabbos: Rav Eider (pg 262) says they may be placed only into a Kli Shlishi, while the SSK (1:61) allows them even in a Kli Rishon Off The Fire. However, one who reads the footnotes will see that there is no machlokess at all: In America they are baked, so the halacha is Yesh Bishul Achar Afiyah, but in Israel they are deep-fried, and the halacha is Ain Bishul Achar Bishul.

Akiva Miller