[Avodah] what's the hetter?

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Tue Jul 9 17:10:06 PDT 2013

On 9/07/2013 6:39 PM, Micha Berger wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 09, 2013 at 09:55:18AM -0700, saul newman wrote:
> : http://www.hebrewbooks.org/pdfpager.aspx?req=51357&pgnum=214
> : for *any* secular education?

> I'm thrown why you would assume that more of us follow a Ram in Qol
> Torah (Y-m ih"q) over the Rama.

Which Rama contradicts what he writes?

> This is simply one rav sounding his
> volley in the dispute between Torah-only and TIDE.
> And the page you point to ignores all the examples of gedolim who weren't
> circumstcribed by ghettoization from learning limudei chol, blaming the
> entire thing on the Haskalah.

Examples?   What pre-haskalah gadol approved teaching limudei chol to
tinokos shel beis rabbon, or even to post-bar-mitzvah boys before they
need to start thinking about making a living?

> And he's trying to prove the lack of need
> for limudei chol from the *Rambam* of all people?

Yes, why not?  The Rambam is pretty clear that even an adult should not
learn limudei chol until after he has mastered Torah, and there's certainly
no support in the Rambam for taking tinokos shel beis rabbon away from Torah
to teach them other things.

--
Zev Sero               A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and
zev at sero.name          substantial reason' why he should be permitted to