[Avodah] announcing plan for first head transplant in man

Rich, Joel JRich at sibson.com
Tue Jul 9 09:43:31 PDT 2013

I actually discussed this in an article in 2010 available here:  http://www.yctorah.org/content/view/662/10
For those who are interested, the references contain the cites for the following info:

1. Dr. Robert White performed head transplants in monkeys in the 1970's.
2. Rabbi Azriel Rosenfeld discussed the halachic implications of potential head transplants in the 60's and 70's

I would note that the ability to perform these transplants is further evidence that defining life by neurological function makes the most practical and halachic sense.

Noam Stadlan
R' Noam,
And what will we do when it will be possible to transplant half a brain etc.? Will we wait to see who has more of the personality of reuvain or shimon?  Ahhh-if only we could invent a soul detector!
She-nir'eh et nehamat Yerushalayim u-binyanah bi-mherah ve-yamenu,
Joel Rich
THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.