[Avodah] Knobbelach

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Thu Jul 4 15:29:09 PDT 2013

On 4/07/2013 6:24 PM, martin brody wrote:
> "checking the wheat, which refers to some sort of fungal growth as "knobblach",
> i.e. "garlics", presumably because its shape is somehow reminiscent of garlic.
> If one has to remove "knobblach" from the wheat to make matzah, then it makes
> sense that this would develop into a minhag not to eat actual knobble.
> zev sero"
>
> Sorry, but no, it doesn't make any sense.

Sure it does.  On Pesach people avoid any association with chametz.  People
even avoid saying "bread" on Pesach, substituting "chometz" instead.  And I
understand that there are many Sefardim who don't eat chickpeas on Pesach
because "chummus" sounds too much like "chametz:.   So it makes sense that
if garlic's name is associated in people's minds with chometz, they would
avoid it.   It makes more sense than any other explanation I've heard for
the minhag.

--
Zev Sero               A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and
zev at sero.name          substantial reason' why he should be permitted to