[Avodah] announcing plan for first head transplant in man

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Thu Jul 4 13:27:22 PDT 2013

From: Marty Bluke  <marty.bluke at gmail.com>
"

http://www.pressbox.co.uk/detailed/Science/announcing_plan_for_first_head_tr
ansplant_in_man_1205861.html

The  Halachic implications of this fascinating. Halachically how would we
identify  this person? Do we follow the head, the body, or neither? What is
the status  of his wife? etc.

It seems to me that the halachic status of a man without a head is "dead"
-- psik reisha.  The status of the wife would be "almanah" -- both  wives,
of both men.  Maybe after the head transplant the person is alive  again but
I really doubt that will ever be possible.

This does raise another question though.  What will happen after  techias
hameisim, when those who were formerly dead become alive again?   What
happens to their wives -- who may have remarried after they were  widowed?  Will
old family relationships be re-established or will everyone  start fresh as
autonomous, family-less people?

--Toby Katz